Friday, January 28, 2011

January Update

I want to take a quick break from the inspirational posts (but will continue the "This I Believe" series later).

As January is quickly coming to a close, I want to re-cap before a new month arrives.

This month has been one of adventures and eye-opening experiences. My first adventure was heading out to Park City, Utah with the Ski and Snowboard Club. Jason, Lynn and I endured a 24 hour bus ride to have 4 days of excellent skiing.

We skipped the bunny hill, and taught Lynn to ski on the green runs. By her second full day we had her going down single and double-blue runs. Lynn and I skied together while Jason hit up some more difficult runs periodically.


After each tough day of skiing, nightly events were planned. For the most part, we hit up the pool and hot tub first, made dinner, played some cards, and had a few beers to relax. Day two of skiing was cut short for me; my ski broke. The inside edge of my right ski was completely torn out. I had two choices: rent the rest of the week, or check to see if they had a pair of skis on sale.

Luckily, I found a pair of two-year old demos for sale for only $99! What a deal! They were a little longer than my other pair (158cm vs 150cm), but at that price, how could I pass it up? So I spent the rest of the week riding 158's, which proved to be exhausting. Longer skis require a lot more strength and concentration to control. By the end of the last day, I was exhausted and could barely hold my skis together going down a blue run... time to call it a day.

When we got back from our trip, the rest of January & winter break consisted of watching to Packers dominate their way to the Super Bowl!

A few days after returning from the trip, classes started up again. My schedule this semester is considerably lighter than the past ones have been. I am only taking 12credits as opposed to an average of 17credits. Not only that, but I only have one business class this semester (a marketing class). Besides that class, I am also taking Flamenco Dancing, World Music, Introduction to Sport Management, and Migration/ Immigration studies.

I really like all of my classes! They force me to think outside the box, and not rely on a textbook to feed me the answers. These classes require that I think more creatively, more musically, more critically, and have an opinion... something I have greatly missed the last few years as I focused on business.

The grand finale of January: I am headed to St. Cloud this weekend (for the first time!) for the Halsey invitational. This is a volleyball and basketball tournament with multiple chapters of Delta Sigma Pi. I will be representing the Alpha Epsilon chapter and kicking butt on the basketball court! :)

Ta-ta for now, more news to come in February

No comments:

Post a Comment