Monday, November 29, 2010

Random act of kindness... People amaze me




Today while I was at work I saw something that just made me smile to myself.

Setting: I was sitting at the reference desk working on homework and helping the occasional student. However, I kept getting distracted by the CUTEST little boy (still not talking... so about 1 1/2?) running around and giving his mom a hard time. He wasn't obnoxious or anything, but he clearly thought that running away from her was a game. He just couldn't seem to stay put. She took him and his older brother (about 8 or 9) to the coffee shop and bought him a muffin to keep him quiet and in his seat while she went to the bathroom.

Lori and I were watching this play out as the mom walked away. Lori and I turn to each other at the same time and say "We should keep an eye on him while his mom goes to the restroom." We smile and chuckle as we watch the little boy getting ready to make a dash from the table. Before we can even stand-up to go grab him, 3 women at the coffee shop do it. One woman just turns to the little boy and says "Where do you think you are going? You know you can't go anywhere. You have to wait for your mom." and the little boy just sits there, smiles, and turns back to his muffin.

It was amazing how these women stepped-in and banded together to help another woman without even considering otherwise. They were never asked, but every woman in the vicinity was keeping an eye on this toddler as he teeter-tottered about shrieking. It's the little things in life, like this willingness to lend a hand, that make life worth living.

So lend a hand... you'd be surprised who it inspires.

No comments:

Post a Comment