Friday, April 1, 2011

Chi Running


I love running. Its not only a great workout, but a great way to clear your mind, not worry about your to-do list, and escape the mundane of everyday. But guess what, my knees hate that I love to run. They complain the whole way and throw a tantrum when I am done. Bayer Aspirin and I have gotten to know each other pretty well over the past few months, and that's a friendship I would like to discontinue!

 Last weekend I went to Midwest Mountaineering for the Minimalist Footwear Class. They talked about barefoot running Five Fingers shoes and chi running. It was encouraging to know that many people with chronic running injuries have over-come them and continued running well into older age by converting to Chi Running form. So I figured, what the heck, let's give it a shot.

I am in the process of ordering the book and instructional DVD... and if those aren't enough, I plan to sign up for a class with a professional instructor. For now, my Internet research will have to suffice. So far, my attempts at mid-foot striking have been successful. My knees no longer scream in protest and my distances have increased drastically without much effort. However, the transformation is a slow one. My calves and Achilles tendon have definitely been worked harder then normal, and I had to take a day-off yesterday. At the class, I was warned about pushing myself to hard, too fast and being prone to injury. Chi Running depends on using and strengthening muscles that are not relied on in typical heel-striking running form, so I'm trying to ease into it.

Overall, I hope to be up and running and full speed and full strength by June so I can participate in my first half-marathon since Spain! (Minneapolis Marathon). Well, I am at work, so I should probably actually do some work! Happy trails, and Happy Friday!


What's your favorite thing about running?

Have you ever been injured from running?

What's your running goal?



No comments:

Post a Comment