Friday, April 15, 2011

Seven Golden Daffodils

“There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter
the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.”
  
I do not have a mansion, and I haven't any land,
Not one paper dollar to crinkle in my hand.
But I can show you morning on a thousand hills,
And kiss you and give you seven daffodils.
 
I do not have a fortune to buy you pretty things,
But I can weave you moonbeams for necklaces and rings,
And I can show you morning on a thousand hills,
And kiss you and give you seven daffodils.
 
Seven golden daffodils, all shining in the sun,
Lights our way to evening, when our day is done.
And I can give you music, and a crust of bread,
And a pillow of piney boughs to rest your head.
And a pillow of piney boughs to rest your head.   
 

I was overcome by nostalgia on my walk him from class today. You may be wondering, "What triggered this?" Was it the realization that I am a senior and about to graduate college? No. Rather, it was the glimpse of a bed of daffodils that reminded me of summer nights gone-by, gathered around the camp fire or sitting in the sweltering lodge singing songs before lights out and taps. 

Every kid deserves the chance to be just that, a kid. And Phantom Lake was a haven, a magical place where kids were encouraged to grow, try new things, gain confidence, and escape the judgmental and often discriminating labels that develop at school.

I have many fond memories of Phantom Lake YMCA camp, and most of them are because of the amazing people I met. Its often hard to explain to "non-camp people" why a summer camp is so great, but honestly I can say it's because I will never forget the people I spent the summers with. I still remember all of the girls from my cabin when I was 11! That says something about this place, don't you think?

Phantom Lake will always be a second home for me, a place to look back on and smile, a reminder to constantly be working on the sides of the square (wisdom, stature, God, man), and an importance piece of who I am today.

By old Phantom's rippling waters, where the campfire's bright,
Keep the flames of friendship burning, in our hearts tonight.
Here we gather in twilight, loyal friends so true.
Building in our hearts fond memories, Phantom Lake, of you.




And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.- Luke 2:52

No comments:

Post a Comment