Sunday, April 17, 2011

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.


Birthdays. A dreaded word for many, an avoided day for some, but overall just another mile marker, a sign that reminds us that life keeps moving. My birthday is fast approaching [it's tomorrow], and it has somehow snuck up on me.

My birthdays tend to fall on odd days for celebrating... like Mondays and Sundays, and this year is no different. So as tomorrow comes and goes, as any other normal Monday would, I am determined to at least make it a productive day of introspection. Milestones in life should be reflected on, and adjustments made. For me, 22 represents the departure of youth and adolescence. By-gone are the carefree days of college. The excuse "I'm just a college kid" goes right out the window. What lies ahead is the question everyone asks: What are you going to do with your life? What's next?

 So, as I enter this intimidating time of transition, it's time to reflect. I will be 22 [tomorrow]. What does that mean... It simply means: Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

To me,  this year and the years that follow, will just be numbers. Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Even though years may wrinkly the skin, giving up your enthusiasms of youth wrinkles the soul. Therefore, this year, the year of the twin-two's, I refuse to give up on my passions, my goals, and re-assert that just because I'm growing older, doesn't mean I have to grow up. The fun is just beginning and I can't wait to see what my life as 22 will bring.

Celebrate life. It's the only one you get, so cherish it!  Live out loud, and don't regret getting older. Its a privilege that not everyone gets. And remember, everyone is the age of their heart. What age do you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment