Tuesday, January 27, 2009

¨Happy Berthday¨ Part 2

Well it was Sunday, and my mom had told me we were going to have family over for "meriendas" to celebrate Silvia's birthday, but she never said when. So I assumed around lunch time. When that didn't happen, I decided to go have some quality time with my books and homework (which actually turned into a nap around 7pm)so my mom came in and woke me up, I quick changed clothes, and braced myself for meeting the whole extended family.

It turns out I was worried for nothing! It was really fun, everyone was really nice, and really patient! It was mainly aunts and uncles and a few cousins and I talked to almost everyone. :) Words can't accurately describe how welcome I felt, part of a family. It was like I was home with my family for a birthday celebration, just speaking a different language. I really enjoyed it 'cause usually I feel like I'm not actually part of the family, just a passer by. My host family talks of the other kids they've hosted and my mom can't even remember the girls names! I don't want that to be me in a couple years! I want to build life long relationships with these people and I'm starting to feel stumped on how to do it!

On Wednesday night I came home at 9:15 pm for dinner... no one was home. I took a nap until 10pm... no one home. No dinner for me that night, so I went out to the bars with my friends for a quick drink and the free "tapas" they serve with the drinks. And this morning, Saturday, I woke up to the sound of my family scrambling around trying to get out the door... I'm not sure where they went, or what time they're coming home... Sad. I think the worst part is I really like them, and I KNOW I would get along really well with my sisters 'cause they're really goofy like me... but it's hard to be the real me with this language barrier! I just don't know how, and I feel like they don't have the time to listen to me try to speak Spanish. I guess maybe I should just get over being scared, or timid... I don't know. If anyone has any tips, please let me know!

That's all for now.

P.S. I'm getting sick... most likely strep. :(

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! It's your cousin Megan :) Grandma sent me the link so I've been reading up on all your adventures. Keep the posts coming! I'm sorry to hear that you're getting sick... it's no fun being sick especially when you're away from home. And sorry to hear that you're having difficulty connecting with your family. That does sound really tough. Do they speak English at all? Or could you just sit down with one of the girls and explain how you feel and that you really are trying so they know you want to be included? My friend Kelly studied in Mexico twice, just May terms, but I think she struggled with the family a little bit too. Hope you continue to have a good time and feel better soon! Make sure you tell your "mom" if you need to go to the doctor. A Spanish hospital might be an interesting experience! ;) Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! I'm so glad to hear from you! It feels like it has been ages (and I'm sure it has). As for the doctor, we have one that makes visits to our school every Monday so I can sign up to see him if I need to. As for my family... nope, they don't speak English at all! So I think that might be part of it. :) Well I love you! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shan, you will be fine, just be nice, be yourself and it will all work out

    ReplyDelete