Friday, January 9, 2009

Packing tips?

With the flight looming just 3 days over my shoulder... and no progress at all in the packing department, panic has set in. What if I forget something? What if I can't find what I need over there? Not only that, but how does a girl pack for six months??! I want to just pack my whole apartment into a duffle bag and call it a day but somehow I think the Airlines would charge me more than $15 a bag if I tried to do that! Everyone I've talked to has suggested packing 10 outfits, and most of it "clubin' clothes"... but what if I want to go skiing one weekend, or hiking another weekend? Won't I need my hiking shoes? My snow pants? Okay, okay. I'll get past all of that superficial stuff... but now what about the language barrier? Will my host family speak a little English? Is 8 years of Spanish classes enough to be considered "fluent", or at least enough to be understood??

**Deep Breath** This is going to be one of the greatest adventures of my life... and I'm scared. Yes, excited... but also very scared. No one likes to leave their comfort zone... and for 6 months... that's just ballz-y. I've already started some homework assignments, and should be reviewing some Spanish... but I feel that no matter what I do, I won't be able to prepare for the culture shock, embarrassing moments and amazing stories to come.

On top of all that, how do I leave the home and relationships I've built in Minnesota for six months? Will it change? Will they forget me? Will I still fit in when I get back?

I guess overall I've learned that nothing great is won or earned without a little sacrifice and taking some big chances... so on the count of three close your eyes, hold your breath and jump: 1... 2... 3...

3 comments:

  1. As you prepare to leave, I'm so proud of your adventuresome spirit and positive attitude. Because of technology like this, you won't seem so far away to those back home as you explore and open yourself to new experiences. I miss you already! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, who are you again? I think I forgot you already.
    no, fool! of course we wont forget you!
    now go have a great time and don't worry about a thing :) except roofies.

    So I see your parents can see this. Note to self: keep it apropriada jajaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the people at school can see this too... not sure if they're going to actually use it.

    ReplyDelete